Monday, July 13, 2015

Fabuolous Senior Thesis Project Inspired by Remmelin's Flap Anatomy: Guest Post by Brittany Bennett


Morbid Anatomy Reader Brittany Bennett created a life sized contemporary flap anatomy based on her love of the work of Johan Remmelin. You can see images above and a description of the project below. You can see more of her work by clicking here.
I'm a recent graduate of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts pursuing a career in medical illustration. I wanted to share my thesis project with Morbid Anatomy since it is deeply influenced by my passionate study of anatomy, dissection, medical art history, and medical museums. Also because Morbid Anatomy was one of the first resources I looked at when I started to consider medical illustration. For my project I created an interactive anatomical flap mannequin that it is entirely hand drawn and life size.

The inspiration for this project came from my experience drawing from cadavers and viewing Johan Remmelin's anatomical fap book (1617) which I saw during my internship with Librarian, Annie Brogan, at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia and the Mütter Museum.

No comments: