Sunday, May 29, 2011

Favorite Fantastic Artists of H. P. Lovecraft


I must confess that I have never actually read any H. P. Lovecraft's works, though I am, of course, well aware of the strong cult following he has engendered with many like-minded folk. Today I came across a link to an article about his favorite artists, and it reads--perhaps not surprisingly--like an illustrated who's who of my favorite historical artists of the fantastic and the grotesque--including Gustave Doré, Henry Fuseli and Francisco Goya--with a few great artists that I had never heard of thrown in for good measure, including John Martin, whose fantastic "The Great Day of His Wrath" (1851) you see above.

This article--by illustrator and graphic designer John Coulthart--is a terrific resource for aficionados of the gothic and fantastic in art; you can read it in its entirety (which I highly recommend!) and see lots of great images not included in this post by clicking here.

Found via i09.

No comments: